Skip to menu
Skip to menu
Skip to content
Skip to footer

Human beings began to settle down in the current Daejeon area in the Stone Age. The area belonged to the Usul-gun of the Baekje Kingdom, Bipung-gun of the Shilla Kingdom and Hoideok-hyeon, Yuseong-hyeon, Deokjin-hyeon and Jinjam-hyeon as a militarily strategic area. The area continued to remain part of Hoideok-hyeon and Jinjam-hyeon of Gongju Mokha during the Joseon Kingdom period. A change in the regional administration system in 1895 put most of the area into Hoideok-gun and Jinjam-gun, excluding some parts that belonged to Gongju-gun.

Afterwards, the government combined the entire areas of Hoideok-gun and Jinjam-gun and some parts of Gongju-gun into a new area called “Daejeon-gun” on March 1, 1914. Daejeon-myeon was newly created to mainly cover the areas that are now In-dong, Won-dong, Jung-dong, Jeong-dong and Samseong-dong in Hoideok-gun. This area became the foundation for the current Daejeon Metropolitan City. In 1931, Daejeon-myeon was elevated to Daejeon-eup. In 1932, the Office of South Chungcheong Province moved to this area from Gongju, fuelling the urbanization of this area. The growth of the area promoted Daejeon-eup to Daejeon-bu in 1935.

Daejeon-bu became Daejeon City on August 15, 1949. The addition of the entire area of Daedeok-gun transformed the city into Daejeon City under the Government’s Direct Control. On January 1, 1995, and the city was renamed “Daejeon Metropolitan City”.